Friday, February 11, 2005

The Drugs Don't Work

Discharge! Today's victory. The dentist with the headache. She is gone. Doctor Pain was on his way up in the elevator, but I made sure the patient went down the stairs. She has a strong jaw, and frowns constantly. The jaw muscles are strong because she has bruxism - she grinds and clenches her teeth. The frown is from the migraines. She is repeatedly admitted because of her headaches. Nothing works for it, we've tried every trick in the book. She is a Pain Patient. They are never happy. They are always in pain. "Now the drugs don't work, they just make you worse, you know I'll see your face again". She'll be back, but she looked fine in the morning. I don't think she had any headache this morning, but she frowned anyway, and I hate that. I wish she would just stop frowning. I wrote her a prescription, said "you want some rest. I'm glad you came to see me to get this off your chest. Come back and see me later, *ping*, next patient, please, send in another victim of industrial disease!"
 

No comments: