Thursday, June 29, 2006

Unmanned Brain

I just read something fantastic. Scientists at the University of Florida cultured 25,000 brain cells from a rat on a plate, connected the squishware to a flight simulator, and what do you know, it learned how to control the airplane and return it to straight-and-level flight. This was in 2004. I'm stunned. I would have thought such a finding would have caused a major philosophical and scientific debate, and shaken the very foundations of the current understanding of technology. Even I hadn't heard about it until I read this piece of news .

Mark my words: future computers will be biological. I can't even imagine what will happen when these neural networks computers achieve high levels of consciousness. Of course, this has been a favorite topic of science fiction writers. As always, it's worth reading science fiction to see what the world will be like in the future.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Can you find the reference for that? I can't...pretty cool though.

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi Stuart,
I'm an academic physician (formerly at Harvard and Stanford) who found your blog while looking for the best health writers. I think your writing is great! I would like to feature you on Wellsphere, a top 10 health website that has well over 2 million visitors monthly.

If you would like to learn more, just drop me an email to Dr.Rutledge@wellsphere.com